The Manager Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) helps lead the various operating units of Company by developing, establishing, implementing and reviewing environment, health and safety programs and policies throughout the fleet. The Manager EHS applies subject matter expertise to solve unique and complex EH&S issues within established guidelines and, recommends appropriate solutions or alternatives. The Manager provides guidance and direction to plant personnel to assure compliance with all applicable regulatory programs (e.g., H&S practices, operating permits, EHS Standard Operating Procedures, etc.). The Manager also helps develop and implement Corporate management/governance controls (e.g., document management, audit functions, quality improvement, etc.). As appropriate, the Manager EHS assumes project management duties by providing technical direction to team activities and helps facilitate decision-making processes. In addition, the Manager EHS helps develop and lead Corporate-wide EHS policy based on today’s operating environment while planning for Company’s future needs as the power generation industry evolves and the regulatory oversight changes.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop, coordinate, plan, maintain and manage the Company’s EHS policies and procedures; delegating day-to-day compliance activities to Corporate and Plant EHS personnel to assure continuous and efficient compliance.
• Develop, manage and provide technical oversight of environmental programs including CAA, CWA, SDWA, EPCRA, CERCLA, and RCRA.
• Help establish Corporate goals and objectives and then implement policies, programs, and procedures to ensure consistent application of the Company’s EHS mission.
• Keep abreast of new and changing regulatory requirements; when needed, the Manager forms and directs multidisciplinary teams to assure EHS policy and practices efficiently address new/revised compliance requirements.
• In person mentoring of Corporate and Plant staff to assure EHS compliance (e.g., Compliance Assistance Visits) while assisting the plants to minimize EHS risks and reduce operating expenses via physical and process improvements.
• Lead by example and actively engage in the professional development of Corporate and Plant EHS personnel.
• Manage and foster the EHS audit and peer safety review processes.
• Participation in due diligence efforts related to M&A activities.
• Participation in permit application preparation efforts for both existing assets and new development efforts.
• Business Administrator for the Benchmark Gensuite EHS compliance system.
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• Ten years of experience in the EHS field and regulatory compliance with >5-years of experience in corporate or regional management roles.
• Regulatory knowledge and experience with Clean Air Act programs, air permit compliance, and continuous emissions monitoring systems (CEMS).
• General regulatory knowledge in other environmental disciplines (e.g., CWA, SDWA, EPCRA, CERCLA, RCRA, TSCA) and health and safety (e.g. OSHA).
• Strong health and safety background and history of driving safety cultures improvements preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels within and outside of the corporate organization. Effective team player with a record of consensus building with internal/external parties.
• Ability to perform and manage multiple tasks and issues simultaneously and perform assigned responsibilities at a high level in a fast-paced, often changing environment.
• Demonstrated leadership skills with an emphasis on driving for results and strategic thinking and planning.
• Effective team player with a record of consensus building with internal/external parties.
• This role will require 15-30% travel to the plant sites.