Our Waterloo, Iowa manufacturing client is looking to hire a Design Engineer. This Design Engineer will design, develop and support products through the product life cycle. From conceptualization, through production and customer support. They will be responsible for developing the appropriate tools, controls, equipment, fixtures and processes used in manufacturing of new products, contribute and/or determine the appropriate specifications and procedures used for layout, testing, and prototyping. In addition, this position is responsible for continuous improvement of other existing products via design modifications and the re-tooling of components, parts and/or systems used on those product lines.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or another related engineering discipline with an emphasis on powered machinery. Individuals with an Associate degree in one or more engineering disciplines and 5-7 years of applicable experience in Agricultural equipment design and/or product development can be substituted for the advanced engineering degree.
· Minimum 5 years of design and manufacturing experience of agricultural equipment. Equivalent experience amount in other equipment types will be considered.
- Strong experience and knowledge level of a 3-D CAD program. Autodesk Inventor & Vault preferred. Other programs such as Catia, Pro-E, Solid Works or Solid Edge will be considered.
- Prior design experience using steel fabrication processes and equipment, i.e. saw, plasma, laser, punch, and forming.
- Prior design experience using machining processes and operations, i.e. lathe, VMC, and HMC.
- Prior design experience of weldments for hand and robotic welding processes, along with general welding knowledge.
- Prior experience in design and machining of steel and iron castings is preferred.
- Prior product development project coordination. Determining and coordinating fabrication, welding process, fixturing and tooling needs for prototyping, and production.
- Prior experience in designing, operating and using agricultural equipment along with general farming operations.
- Prior work experience developing and supporting product and design support documentation, i.e., Product Manuals, Department standards.
- Prior experience designing control systems.
- Prior experience with ISOBUS systems.
- Proficiency with written, verbal, presentation, and telephone communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft products including Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Develops multiple design solutions and CAD layouts to determine ideal design for new and existing products that meet manufacturing capabilities as well as high quality and customer expectations.
- Performs engineering calculations required to meet goals and expectations.
- Develop, determine, contribute and/or provide internal & external specifications, i.e. raw material, manufactured items, outsourced components.
- Provide / assist with direction and coordination of the manufacturing processes for prototype and production builds.
- Prepare accurate, complete and detailed Bill of Materials, part, weldment and assembly drawings.
- Manages multiple projects and Engineering Change Notices to meet project timelines.
- Contributes and/or determines processes involved in product development, i.e. prototyping, testing, and tooling.
- Assist other departments to assure project success.
- Provides periodic project and documentation support as directed by Engineering Supervisor.
- Provides reports as required by the Director of Operations.
- Provides major project support for all areas as directed by senior management.