Are you looking for an opportunity to work in one of the biggest chemical companies in the world? The company is offering an exciting opportunity as a Senior Synthesis Chemist in our team in Louisville, KY. They are looking for an experienced polymer chemist/scientist and project leader where the main responsibilities of this role include to manage new resin development projects for coatings applications, to scale-up products and to provide technical support. It is desired to have expertise in acrylic solvent borne resin synthesis.
If you have passion for polymer synthesis, coatings and want to make an impact this is important as well.
- Deliver on Research and Development projects supporting the innovation strategy in line with the business strategy. Drive research and product development projects needed to meet the technical needs of the market and customers.
- Lab work includes synthesis, formulation and applications’ testing. This position will include hands-on laboratory bench work.
- Collaborate with fellow synthesis, applications, analytical and technical service personnel in developing new products and technologies.
- Ensure that all projects are well documented in our stage gate process and meeting defined timelines. Provide effective leadership of cross functional project teams to deliver on projects within the agreed budget and timeline.
- Responsible for the successful scale-up of products from laboratory to production.
- Investigate customer complaints and problems. Provide support to the customers when required.
- Be involved in technical presentations at conferences, symposiums and trade shows.
- Investigate patent ability of new products and processes and review new literature and patents on relevant technologies.
- Assist in rework inventory by identifying alternative use in existing products.
- Maintain a safe and regulatory compliant laboratory work environment in accordance with Good Laboratory Practice and through proper usage of personal protective equipment (PPE).
Required skills and experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the area of polymer synthesis and coatings formulations.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in designing and developing solvent borne acrylic resins.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE), lift up to 50 lb containers and operate lab equipment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, up to 5% of time, by air or by road.
- Master's degree or PhD in Chemistry or Polymer Science.
- Very good analytical, problem solving and collaborative skills.
- Very good interpersonal, written, oral and presentation skills.
The company is proud to offer an international working experience with a tight-knit network of employees, making it easy to connect and learn from people all across our different functions. On top of that this is a truly innovative company with a strong team spirit, openness to new ideas, and great opportunities to grow and develop your career.