Client is a well-known, A++ rated, Life Insurance Carrier with a long history and $900B in assets. Strong visibility, good team, stable environment. This is a key leadership role within a high-profile team of the Controller Organization. The role is Hybrid and there are offices in Boston and Springfield, MA.
As a Director, you will be in a controllership role responsible for engaging with a team that manages and executes insurance accounting and analysis, including oversight of financial reporting outcomes of all insurance products. You will proactively identify financial reporting risks and opportunities within the insurance processes activities and translate that into decision-useful improvement recommendations. You will provide sound financial advice to business units or other departments, anticipating the financial statement impact of changes in the business environment and make recommendations to ensure appropriate processes are implemented and maintained.
- Managing a team of professionals and lead the collaboration and oversight of the effort supported by our outsource partner. Plays a key role in creating a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with outsourced vendors and other areas within the Controllers Organization to build trust through increasing understanding of and respecting differences
- Ensures the accurate, timely completion of monthly, quarterly and annual accounting close cycles for complex insurance accounting by effectively planning, monitoring, and problem solving
- Designs and improves the analysis on trends and results, drafting commentary which enables readers to quickly understand the financial results and drivers
- Effectively collaborates with Treasury, Investment Accounting, Reinsurance Accounting, Strategic Business Partner, Reporting and Corporate Actuarial teams and builds key relationships to maintain expertise in insurance product accounting and related financial impacts. Ensure the accurate, timely and efficient submission of data and analysis required to meet reporting requirements
- Exhibit strong leadership presence and communications skills in presenting results to various levels of management. This will require thought leadership and entail developing sound accounting practices, efficient processes, and robust control documentation to effectively deliver timely and insightful results.
- Develops, documents, and assures adherence to an internal control framework, making recommendations to continuously improve the overall control environment. Monitors the control execution of insurance accounting, including accounting performed by vendors ensuring Ensures policies and procedures are adhered to
- Lead the accounting policy research and implementation for new insurance products or insurance related transactions ensuring accuracy and compliance with accounting regulations. This includes the monitoring and governance, oversight, process change and transaction controls, including those executed by vendors that provide accounting services to the Company
- Drives accountability by collaborating with accounting policy and other areas within the Controllers Organization on the evaluation of new GAAP and statutory accounting guidance impacts to the company
- Demonstrates the technical and leadership competencies and passion for continuous improvement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of progressive experience in accounting and 3+ years of experience providing insurance accounting, general ledger processing and month end close related
- US GAAP and statutory accounting
- CPA, Master or MBA or equivalent preferred
- NAIC statutory accounting preferred