Client is a well-known, A++ rated, Life Insurance Carrier with a long history and $900B in assets. Strong visibility, good team, stable environment. This role is a part of a high-profile team within the Corporate Finance division of the firm with strong opportunities for growth and progression. The role is Hybrid and there are offices in Boston and Springfield, MA.
The Investment Controllership team is a high-profile team in the Controllers organization, comprised of accountants who oversee our various asset classes and investment activity. The team continues to grow in support of our growing level of assets, key initiatives, and special projects. Our team has high business acumen and is driven to provide timely and accurate financial information to our customers.
As a Director, you will be in a controllership role responsible for engaging with a team that manages and executes investment transactional accounting and analysis, including oversight of financial reporting outcomes of all investment products. You will proactively identify financial reporting risks and opportunities within the investment activities and translate that into decision-useful improvement recommendations. You will provide sound financial advice to business units or other departments, anticipating the financial statement impact of changes in the business environment and make recommendations to ensure appropriate processes are implemented and maintained.
- Managing a team of professionals and lead the collaboration and oversight of the effort supported by our outsource partner
- Understanding of securities accounting principles and practices on STAT and GAAP basis including knowledge of Schedule D and other Blue Book and financial statement disclosures
- Understand how data flows through the financial systems to the accounting function, planning appropriately for changes and prioritizing and implementing enhancements
- Accountable for the establishment, maintenance, and enhancement of internal controls and to consistently improve upon the strong control environment within the investment accounting activities
- Add value to the enterprise through close collaboration and partnership with other business units and corporate functions to ensure the accurate, timely and efficient submission of data and analysis required to meet reporting requirements
- Play a key role in creating a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with other Controllers teams, such as the financial close team and external reporting to ensure the accurate recognition of accounting for various transactions and events related to the investment processes and activities
- Drive accountability by collaborating with accounting policy and other areas within the Controllers Organization on the evaluation of new GAAP and statutory reporting impacts to the company; assisting in the implementation of new business financial reporting impacting the investment processes
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related major
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- CPA and Master’s degree preferred
- Securities Accounting or Securities Accounting subledger preferred
- In-depth knowledge of US GAAP and Statutory accounting