Senior Category Manager
This position manages a strategic product category in Client Consumables, Collections, and Supplies (“CCS”) procurement portfolio. This position involves a significant level of global sourcing activity and management of suppliers based in the United States, China, greater Asia, and Europe. The position is also responsible for management and negotiation of multimillion dollar distribution purchase agreements supporting Client. The successful candidate will be required to develop strategic sourcing partnerships with multiple suppliers and distributors which achieve substantial cost reductions while strengthening product quality and supplier service levels. This successful candidate will work closely with internal stakeholders to develop effective cost reduction strategies and oversee project implementation plans. The Category Manager's primary responsibility is to utilize strategic sourcing best practices to capture real savings while making effective supply base sourcing decisions. This includes direct savings captured through consolidating company-wide purchasing volume and applying operational and commercial TCO levers to reduce cost and managing contracts with suppliers.
· Develops and implements category management strategies for categories assigned in the CCS portfolio
· Makes sourcing recommendations based on financial analysis, cost structure of categories, supplier’s alignment with Client goals and strategies, and the supplier’s position in their industry in concert with its marketplace offerings.
· Maintains a deep knowledge of the global manufacturing landscape of the categories assigned in terms of supplier base, new technologies, competitive environment, market trends and cost impactors.
· Develops strategic sourcing roadmaps with suppliers in support of company's future commercial needs.
· Negotiates supply agreements inclusive of pricing and contractual terms.
· Develops negotiation strategies and drive negotiations to achieve stated objectives.
· Oversees sourcing project execution and collaborates with laboratory technical teams, supplier quality, and procurement engineering.
· Manages supplier relationships to include periodic commercial and quality reviews. Assures active and open communications with suppliers. Operates in an objective manner which fosters commercial benefits for Client and also represents a fair and balanced relationship with suppliers.
· Influences franchise, operational, and other internal stakeholders to align on sourcing strategies and project requirements.
· Provides regular and consistent measurement reports to internal customers that bring visibility on category level compliance and savings contributions.
· Tracks forecasted savings versus actual savings for the assigned category and is responsible for communicating performance results against financial budgets. Performs category spend analytics across the Client enterprise.
· Analyzes risks and benefits of future sourcing decisions and can clearly present proposals with this risk analysis.
· Monitor contracts for compliance, quality and business alignment.
· Acts as an escalation point if important commercial or quality problems occur with assigned suppliers; coordinates resolution of supplier performance issues.
BA/BS in Supply Chain Management / Business Management / Engineering / Finance or related field required; MBA is preferred.
Successful multi-year track record in a global procurement organization.
5-10 years of experience in sourcing / supplier / category management is preferred
Minimum of 5 years of experience sourcing and developing international suppliers - primarily China, greater Asia and Europe.
Healthcare industry experience is considered a plus
Knowledge of supply management strategies and tools
Familiarity with requirements to import products into the United States; e.g. importation records requirements, tariff impacts, developing channel partners etc.
Comprehensive understanding of legal contract construction, and ongoing contract management expertise.
History of developing successful negotiations strategies and delivering results.
Ability to operate successfully in a large matrixed organization.
Strong influencing and change management skills.
Experience overseeing and directing multiple active sourcing projects in tandem
Present and advocate sourcing recommendations to a variety of audiences in different functions - inclusive of senior staff.
Ability to lead teams and build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
Able to demonstrate a pattern of successful complex problem-solving.
Analytical, financial and strategic thinking.
Passion for setting and meeting aggressive goals.
Openness for new initiatives, fast learner, and proactive.
Strong presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Results driven / strong analytical capabilities / self-starter and independent worker.
Capability and desire to advance to greater levels of organizational responsibility in the near term.
Superior work ethic with unyielding integrity.