This is a job opportunity for an AVP of Tax at a Life & Annuity carrier, which is a mid-size, investment fund backed company that is fast-growing but established. The role involves working closely with the Head of Tax and a Tax Associate, and it is very hands-on, with responsibilities that include compliance and advisory work. The company is looking for someone who is open to expanding their skill set, as there is a lot to learn and be involved in. This role is also a succession planning role since the head of tax is planning on retiring.
The company is led by a CEO and a team with extensive experience in private equity, insurance, investment banking, and the Big 4, and is well-respected in the life & annuity space. Their mission is to provide risk management solutions for their clients, who are primarily other insurance carriers looking to transition in force life and annuity blocks of business. While the company does write some live risk, the majority of their business involves buying in force blocks of business.
The AVP, Tax Manager will be responsible for preparing, reviewing, and maintaining all corporate tax compliance, reporting, and audits, including federal and state income tax provisions, federal, state, and local tax compliance, financial statement disclosures and analysis, and supporting internal and external auditors. The role involves explaining results to senior management and the board of directors.
- Prepare and/or assist in the review of federal and state income tax accruals & reconciliations (current and deferred taxes; GAAP and SSAP101 and Bermuda EBS), including provision to return reconciliations and inter-company settlements
- Prepare and/or review quarterly and annual financial statement disclosures (SSAP101 and GAAP basis)
- Prepare and/or review of federal and state income tax compliance, including preparation of federal and state returns, estimated tax payments and extensions
- Coordination of federal and state audits of all taxes
- Coordination of tax function/documentation with internal and external auditors
- SOX compliance, including updating process narratives and related test work
- Prepare and/or review miscellaneous tax returns and estimates including federal excise, premium/franchise, capital stock, CAT, municipal, use and property taxes
- Work closely with Tax Associate on the policyholder and vendor tax administration policies, procedures, and systems to ensure compliance with tax withholdings and reporting requirements and all tax filings
- Work on ad hoc projects as needed (merger and acquisition activity, miscellaneous tax research)
- Document and enhance procedures where necessary
- Assist in identifying value-added opportunities for the Firm
- 8+ years of insurance tax accounting experience (life insurance knowledge a plus)
- Highly motivated individual with ability to multi-task and complete deliverables within time constraints and deadlines in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications (e.g., Excel)
- Proficient in OneSource Tax Provision software a plus
- BA in Finance, Accounting or similar
- Advanced degree or certification (MST, MSA, CPA)