Major established and brand name global company with a good working culture has an opportunity for a Manager of Advanced Development Engineering to be responsible for overall leadership and development support of high-quality products for material handling equipment. This position will provide leadership in the areas of Automation, New Technologies, and will help bridge the Research and New Product Development teams. The selected individual will lead R&D and technical programs which result in new and/or improved product, increased output, and/or reduced costs.
Seeking a leader with the right balance of creativity, initiative, and drive to move solutions quickly from concept to realization. This role will require you to actively collaborate with the world class parent company technical staff to solve challenging problems. Will have 5 to 8 direct reports and travel to a maximum of 15% of the time with is mostly domestic. Work / personal life balance is valued and there is an attractive relocation package and a profit sharing plan averaging about 7%.
- Works closely with management to support development of the strategic technology plan and corporate goals/objectives related to new product development.
- Leverages innovative conceptual ideas born from various parts of the business including Research, Development, Marketing, Operations, etc. and assists in implementing them into new products
- Coordinates a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, software, and systems technical resources.
- Coordinates the implementation of new development engineering and production strategies.
- Champions development methodologies and tools required to release products in support of overall business objectives, to improve quality and reduced time to market.
- Guides and coaches the team through adoption and transitional phases of platform development, design practice, risk analysis (technical and commercial), testing and validation, performance trade-off studies, cost studies, supplier selections, and engineering process development.
- Collaborates with outside partners to gain access to technology solutions for further development and commercialization.
- Recruits, develops, and retains a world-class team.
- Instills overall accountability by setting expectations, putting in place robust team management disciplines, and providing ongoing feedback.
- Manages staffing levels to match budgets and meet the approved new product development roadmap needs.
- Fosters and generates advanced intellectual property, positioning company to continue their history of technical leadership in all aspects of material handling.
- Interfaces with parent company global members in working groups and other collaboration sessions.
- Automation experience preferred
- Systems engineering experience in the electrical area a plus
- Technical project management a plus
- Interest in working in the R&D area and developing next generation of automation systems
- Must have an engineering or engineering technology bachelor degree
- Needed is at least 8 years of engineering experience
- Material handling product experience a plus
- If no management experience must have an interest becoming a manager