Newport News, VA
Summary of the Manager System Engineering:
Our client, a developer of advanced heavy vehicle and mining technology, is looking for a Manager of System Engineering to develop next-generation controls technology for their products. In this role you will be responsible for a team developing products that meet required cost targets, technical specifications, and ensure projects are completed within the projected timelines. To do this, you will work with cross-functional teams and departments involving core team members for important project decisions and actions.
This company is ideal for someone who wants to lead a team developing innovative controls technology, with the support and stability of a major player in the field.
This position will require extensive overseas travel, potential residence, for the first two years.
Responsibilities of the Manager System Engineering:
- Designs systems and controls; specifies equipment and components for systems, which include, but are not limited to low and high voltage electrical, hydraulic, and the various supporting subsystems.
- Designs, develops, and evaluates logic specifications to support software development for control systems on mining equipment.
- Creates and maintains specifications for truck components for use on new and existing mining equipment.
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposals, truck performance data, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget.
- Directs engineering personnel in the design or fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment, and determines methods, procedures, and conditions for testing products.
- Develops applications of controls, instruments, and systems for new products and improvement of existing products.
- Manages and/or conducts field testing for optimization of control.
- Interfaces with other groups/disciplines to create specifications that outline control system software necessary for haul truck functions.
- Works with Production Engineers to specify proper control components (PLC’s, mobile computers, HMI, and other associated hardware).
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering
- Works independently and as a team member with other engineers, designers, and production personnel or on ad hoc projects.
- Forecasts department operating costs and contribute to the preparation of the budget.
- Participates in Engineering Development Program.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of Systems Engineering team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Qualification of the Manager System Engineering:
- A BS (MS preferred) in Engineering with 10+ years of experience developing technology for heavy equipment or vehicle systems.
- 2+ years of experience managing an engineering team.
- Knowledge of vehicle systems and the interaction between them, including drive systems, control systems, hydraulic systems, and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of electric drive systems as applied to mining equipment, in particular to the application of diesel-electric haul trucks, would be a plus.
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink with the ability to use these tools to simulate and evaluate existing or proposed electrical, mechanical, and electromechanical system behavior.
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink with the ability to use these tools to process and analyze field data to evaluate and report out on individual system and overall truck performance.
- Working knowledge of functional safety principles for machines. Ability to read and write electrical and hydraulic schematics.
- Knowledge of the design, specification, and utilization of PLC control on mobile equipment.
- Working knowledge of communication networks and vehicle communication bus architecture.
- Knowledge of communication protocols (ex. RS232, CANOpen, J1939, etc.).
- Ability to write specifications that describe software function.
- Knowledge of database software; E3 schematic software or equivalent; Microsoft Project Management software; and MS Office software.
- Knowledge of MRP software as it relates to product Bill of Material (BOM) structure and inventory control is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures / manuals, schematics, part drawings, assembly drawings, component / system specifications and governmental regulations.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
General Competencies of the Manager System Engineering:
- Leadership: Builds organizational commitment; implements policies; manages employee performance; motivates team; and communicates.
- Analytical Thinking: Breaks down problems and issues into components and analyzes the costs, benefits, opportunities, and risks associated with each alternative solution.
- Cost Awareness: Strives to keep costs within budget, and makes manager aware when budget will be exceeded. Monitors revenues and/or expenses to ensure sound fiscal responsibilities.
- Initiative: Works independently to solve problems, looks for opportunities to take on more responsibility.
- Managing Multiple Priorities: Handles multiple assignments and priorities while fulfilling all commitments.
- Continuous Self Improvement: Works toward developing new skills or enhancing existing skills, accepts new responsibilities and adapts to changes in procedures.
Compensation of the Manager System Engineering:
Salary Range- $140,000-160,000/year
Location- Newport News, VA
Type- Direct hire
Relocation Assistance- Subject to review
VISA Sponsorship- No, US Citizens or Green Card Holders only