Major established, expanding, and brand name company has an opportunity at their large manufacturing site in the south suburban Atlanta metropolitan area for a Materials Engineer to be a key member of their Molding Department for a specific product line. This role will play a vital part in the collaborative process of SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) material development between the company and their suppliers. The goal of this position is to drive the quality of our product to an optimum level through material refinement and working hand in hand with our process engineers on the factory floor. This position will entail project management of new materials as well as refinement projects of their current materials. This position will be the liaison between their product development group, their manufacturing engineering group, and the supply base. Relocation assistance is available as well as a 2% profit share direct from the company and 5% bonus potential. The company values personal / work life balance.
- Tactical and strategic management of new and existing sheet molding material in regards to Quality, Cost, and Delivery.
- Strict recording and reporting of material related issues all the way from the batch processing of the material at their suppliers to their completed product assembly at the factory.
- Develop and execute laboratory test set ups, criteria, and reporting to enhance the development of their materials, processes, and culture.
- Integrate the company Production System principals including Strong Gemba management, 5S, Lean Manufacturing, Synchronous Flow, Defect Free, Theoretical Value Production, and waste elimination.
- Work in unison with their product development and manufacturing engineers on new model/new material projects to ensure proper pre-production material maturity is sufficient for mass production.
- Be an active member of the shop floor process and drive improvement on a daily basis.
- Travel (up to 25%) to supply base for on site meetings, run offs, general audits, and processing improvements to help them exceed their potential and our expectations.
- Ensure positive employee relations. Train and develop organization. Maintain participative employee culture including Kaizen, Small Group, and growth assignments.
- Lead Cross Functional team – ability to prioritize based on Safety, Quality, Productivity considerations, and drive team to solutions.
- Forward looking view to recognize issues and potential production interruptions before the problems impact the Operation (scheduling, capacity consideration & constraints, balancing priorities between New Model and current production).
- BS degree in applicable Material Science / Material Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering. Masters Degree a plus.
- Capable and comfortable working around large tonnage press equipment.
- 10+ years of Sheet Molding / Composite material development, material molding and leveling technology with proven results.
- 10+ years of applications of adhesion coatings.
- Strong understanding of batch material processing and process refinement.
- Experience working in a fast paced production environment.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills. Able to articulate issues across the organization. Can effectively lead/work with other functions (Design Engr, Mfg Engr, Maintenance, Quality, and Distribution) for business results.
- Highly proficient MS-Office PC skills.
- Must be receptive to team environment and be capable of formulating and developing focused teams within the organization.
- Strong verbal and visual communication.