The Commercial Development Director is a key member of the sales and marketing team reporting to the Vice President of Sales. This position exclusively focuses on new business development related to identifying new product opportunities with potential customers. Further, this position has direct responsibility for achieving specific growth objectives and increasing revenue by identifying and developing new projects for products that fit Company’s chemistry expertise. Key accountability areas include generation of new sales leads, closing new business, and meeting or exceeding budgeted revenue objectives for new product development.
There are three broad areas where incumbent will primarily hunt for new business:
- Finding new applications for products identified in the current extensive furfural product tree or being able to identify new applications/products within 1-3 synthesis steps from that product tree.
- Taking the very broad range of chemistries that we have demonstrated with our current furfural product tree and actively seek out new starting materials and begin investigating applying our chemistries to the new starting material to find new downstream product tree applications/products. This might include something already commercially produced but it might include opportunities not yet commercially practiced but available to us to compete against such as a different cheaper route to an established commercial product. It is a very high priority to establish at least two more starting materials that are renewable and can be building blocks capable of developing a new product tree.
- Using Company’s broad range of chemistries to find opportunities of high value products that might not be renewable in nature (don’t have renewable starting materials).
Achieve a level of growth for new products such that 25% of our sales in 2025 are from products that were not being produced in 2020 and establish a clear pattern starting in 2022 that supports growth to that level.
Company is well-positioned to take on tremendous growth.
- Prefer a PhD level chemist background or have at least equivalent practical experience sufficient to allow the incumbent to engage PhD chemists both internally and externally when exploring target products/applications, as well as synthesis and processing routes.
- Must have experience and demonstrated capabilities to think of new projects in terms of the entire business case and develop a very good sense early on what can work from the perspective of technical fit, equipment fit, cost feasibility, potential gross margin growth, and time frame, along with any major regulatory constraints, and in particular be considering how capex can be applied and achieve reasonable payback for new product launches.
- Must become familiar with Company's workshops, and unit operations capabilities, in particular capacity. Incumbent will need to have a good sense of what projects can fit easily, and what projects may require increasing levels of capex, which can then be balanced against the project potential.
- Needs to become familiar with costing in order to assess new project opportunities against the manufacturing cost structure.
- Make priority calls for R&D, capex, and Operations (with the support of the Commercial VP and President) to push growth initiatives in a way that optimizes EBIDTA growth. The incumbent must be aware of competing priorities for resources and adapt.
- Collaborate closely with Company’s Technical Product Development Manager to ensure that the project investigations cover all needed basis and ensure that barriers are appropriately challenged and overcome as the project proceeds through the formal stage and gate process.
- Maintain an active collaboration with R&D, meeting at least weekly to foster new idea generation, to track R&D progress on existing projects.