Salt Lake City UT
Must Be Eligible for Secret Clearance
• A working knowledge of electromagnetic theory, radiated and conducted emissions, signal and power coupling effects, susceptibility of systems, Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3), Lightning effects, EMP and HEMP.
• A strong focus on designing for, and testing to MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464 and RTCA/DO-160 specifications. Knowledge of Commercial (FCC, CE-Mark, RTCA DO-160) and Military (UK DEF-STAN 59-41) specifications and related qualification testing is beneficial but not required.
• Experience with assembling and troubleshooting EMI/EMC test setups.
• Experience with EMI/EMC design techniques for wide-band, high-isolation performance, signal containment, source suppression and RF grounding. Applicable for PCBs, sub-assemblies and system-level hardware for hand-held, aircraft, ground, and shipboard systems and platforms.
• Experience with EMC simulation software tools is desired. (i.e. SPICE, Ansys HFSS or other EM simulators, Keysight ADS and IBIS model development based tool sets)
• Experience with common lab equipment, such as: Oscilloscopes, Spectrum Analyzers, Receivers, Signal Generators, RF amplifiers, Antennas, EMI current probes.
• Experience with EMI test software, EMI shield rooms/chambers and associated maintenance.Responsibilities
• Participate in the proposal process for programs with EMI/EMC requirements.
• Perform design and test activities to achieve EMI compliance.
• Support both system and sub-system development efforts and design reviews, including: sub-system partitioning, packaging, internal and external cable design, grounding and isolation requirements, CCA layout recommendations, schematic development, grounding maps, trade studies, analysis and simulation activities.
* Apply engineering principles to investigate, analyze, plan, design, test, and evaluate programs for Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3).
• Perform simulations with SPICE or other EMI/EMC simulation tools to predict CCA-level and system-level EMI performance, and also understand anomalies observed during hardware testing.
• Prepare, conduct and participate in design reviews.
• Create an EMI Control Plan, Test Plan, Test Procedure, Test Report and other applicable documents.
• Perform required pre-test setup and calibration measurements prior to testing.
* Direct EMI testing activities and participate in EMI related system and sub-system troubleshooting efforts.
• Interface with other members of the program engineering team, manufacturing team and the customer as required.
• Interface with external suppliers to upgrade their products for EMI compliance, when necessary.
• Provide in-house training seminars and individual mentoring to electrical, mechanical, RF and system engineers, manufacturing personnel, management staff and customers on various aspects of EMI/EMC/E3 design.
QualificationsBS degree in a related engineering field, with 3-5 years of experience is required.