Boiler Operator x2 openings (6am-6pm & 6pm-6am)
Our Minneapolis, MN food manufacturing client is looking to hire 2 Boiler Operators for their day shift (6am-6pm) and Night Shift (6pm-6am). This Boiler Operator will report to the Boiler Chief and is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of boiler/refrigeration equipment and systems. This Operator will coordinate the activities of the Department’s personnel as required.
- Perform all responsibilities in accordance with company Standard Operating Procedures, practices, and safety rules as well as appropriate industry and regulatory guidelines, rules, and regulations.
- Responsible for responding to chemical (including ammonia) leaks/spills; will be on the plant Emergency Response Team.
- Communicate with the equipment manufacturers/vendors on any problems and follow-up on getting the right parts needed to correct the problems.
- Must work with various refrigerants, chemicals, solvents, paints, fuels and lubricants.
- Ensures that each system is operated in a safe manner and that all components of the system are in compliance with OSHA and other agencies.
- Comply to and monitor operation for compliance with all 14 elements of the "Process Safety Management Program".
- Perform preventive maintenance in accordance with approved maintenance plans and work orders using SAP.
- Operate and maintain all engine room and other equipment including ammonia refrigeration, boilers, pumps, compressors, condensers, and electrical systems. Help develop and follow established standard operating procedures for safety, health, environment, and production.
- Performs routine boiler water analysis and maintenance as required.
- Demonstrates ability to manipulate valves, pumps, and various auxiliary machinery.
- Operate facility fire monitoring system.
- Read and understand equipment and system drawings.
- Maintains, adjusts, and repairs utility systems and facility support equipment controls in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Monitor and maintain plant steam production, ammonia refrigeration system, and the plant compressed air system.
- Document all maintenance and inspection activity in accordance with Northern Star Co. Mechanical Integrity Program.
- Adhere to safe work practices, complete monthly safety audits/observations, follow GMP’s, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Responsible for initiatives in the following areas: Lean Manufacturing, Cost Reduction and Mechanical Downtime reduction.
- Assists in the coordination of activities in the Department.
- Requires active participation in Emergency Response Team.
- Consult with Management on issues on boiler / refrigeration equipment and systems
- Lend knowledge and ideas to the solution of problems involving the plant, boiler, and steam system.
- Train new hires and existing employees as needed.
- Adhere to GMP’s, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
- Associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience
- 3 years strong industrial utility systems maintenance background in a manufacturing environment (food processing plant preferred).
- Experience in electrical, welding and pneumatics helpful.
- Minnesota Boiler Class 1B or above is REQUIRED.
- Boiler, HVAC, and HAZMAT training REQUIRED.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Electrical license (preferred).
- 2 year degree in Electrical/HVAC Ammonia and/or Building Maintenance (preferred).
- Ability to become HAZWOPER certified.
- Working knowledge of SAP functions preferred.
- Forklift Experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office skills strongly preferred.