Ft. Wayne IN
Paid Relocation Available
The primary role of this position is to provide Optical Systems Engineering expertise to space-based programs.On-orbit imaging and sensing systems operate in the visible and infra-red region of the spectrum.
The Optical Systems Engineer will be part of a highly skilled multi-expertise technical team. The position provides critical support to our Fort Wayne team and on-site support to high-technology American and Canadian suppliers.
This position will provide key engineering products, such as:
- Perform and coordinate system-level Optical hardware and process trades with and Supplier teams to arrive at mutually agreeable spec-compliant solutions to technical problems.
- Definition, Design, Development and Performance Verification of Refractive/Reflective Telescopes, Optical Coatings, Detectors, Processes, and Components resulting in Delivery of Quality Products meeting our Customer’s Requirements
- Optical budgets and sensitivities including wave-front error, MTF, line of sight, stray-light, SNR, SWAP, glint, spectral tuning/splitting, polarization, phase retrieval, image simulation, and radiometric calculations.
- Creating and Managing Optical and Radiometric requirements and specifications for systems, assemblies, and components.
- Hands-on test/review of data, materials and components to verify compliance to specifications
- Bachelors degree in Optics, Systems Engineering, Physics, or related field with 9 years of HW design experience, OR, a Masters in Optics, Systems Engineering, Physics, or related field with 7 years of design experience
- Experience of Zemax, Code V, FRED, and DOORS
- Experience in Systems requirements management (ex. performance verification, requirements allocation) for LEO/GEO environment
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Ability to mentor junior level optical engineers focused on technical/cost/schedule optimization
- Familiarity with ASAP and MatLab
- Flexibility to travel occasionally to vendor or customer sites
- DoD Secret Clearance preferred
Must Have Experience with Zemax
Candidate would have experience working on Optical Design in the space realm. No Lazers or high speed lazers experience. No medical optics experience. Preferably a degree in Optical Engineering. Should have worked with optics software's Zemax, Code V and/or FRED.