Principal Software Engineer
Job Summary of the Principal Software Engineer:
Principal level Software Engineer with experience in embedded software development for a variety of architectures is required to act as a group leader, focusing on the development of software/firmware for rugged high-performance computing products for one of our clients in Huntsville, AL. This client is well known for their leading-edge ruggedized ADC, DAC, and digital signal processing products. This is a stable, growing company that is offering significant future opportunities to break into new technologies. In this role you will be responsible for whole software development lifecycle, from initial requirements gathering and analysis, through to product delivery. You'll mentor a firmware development team, using your knowledge of the market to develop future growth strategies. This position will have solid growth opportunities into management or chief engineering roles.
If you have strong experience with embedded software development, and with an interest in developing further in a management or technical path, this could be a good match.
Responsibilities of the Principal Software Engineer:
- SME (Subject Matter Expert) in embedded software engineering
- Understands the interdisciplinary roles across each aspect of product development and impacts of each on schedule, budget, and quality
- Supports Product Management with validation of product concepts
- Supports ITO (Inquiry to Order) team on large proposals and gives technical guidance
- Excels in systems integration and test; provides mentorship and guidance to engineering team on multiple projects in this area
- Support global engineering team with participation in the review process
- Works with global engineering leaders to continuously refine the engineering process
- Displays strong troubleshooting/debug skills and mentor other engineers in areas of expertise
- Understands and promotes the use of advanced design tools to increase engineering efficiency
- Interfaces with vendors/suppliers to bring the latest technology to products
- Fosters collaboration between software groups at Abaco Systems and drive a common approach and best practices wherever possible - Agile, CI/CT, Security improvements, tool usage.
- Helps shaping software and firmware release roadmaps, ensuring that customer requirements are met, and milestones are achieved to the committed schedule.
- Regular interactions with key customers – facilitating technical exchanges, information sessions, pre-sales support to clarify requirements to customize our software/firmware products when required.
Qualifications for the Principal Software Engineer:
- Degree in Electronic Engineering or a related subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Prior experience as a Principal or Lead in Embedded Software Engineering
- Strong experience with firmware, operating systems, and middleware used for customer applications
- In-Depth Experience with FPGA, various processor architectures including Intel, PowerPC, ARM, NVIDIA, and AMD
- Experience with high-speed fabrics including PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet, Aurora, SRIO, etc is a plus.
- Experience with manufacturing, testing, and qualification of products.
- Some knowledge of automated test development.
- Advocate with demonstrable experience of Continuous Integration, Continuous Test and Agile development methodologies is a STRONG plus
- Experience in working through the whole software development lifecycle
- Understanding of configuration management practices and tools
- Outstanding communication and customer-facing skills
- Problem-solving skills, creative and solution-building skills
- Displays curiosity and energy to analyze and drive improvements to processes
Compensation of the Principal Software Engineer:
Salary Range: Up to $145,000-195,000K/year, depending on experience
Location: Huntsville, AL
Travel: As an when required
Relocation Assistance: Subject to review
Visa Sponsorship: No. US Citizens or Green Card Only
Knowledge of the following areas will be helpful – Software, product, project, management, lead, SME, embedded, PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet, Aurora, SRIO,Mil, Aero, configuration, FPGA, PowerPC, ARM, NVIDIA, AMD