A nationally-ranked STEM university—invites applications and nominations for the position of Chief Financial Officer. Universityseeks an individual with the intellectual and personal qualities to be an innovative leader with strong interpersonal communication skills.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) provides leadership and oversight for the development and execution of a sustainable financial model for the University that anticipates and responds to the opportunities and challenges of the higher education environment. Reporting to the President, the CFO is responsible for the management of operating budgets and financial reporting, development of forecasts for the University that accurately anticipate risks and opportunities including return on investment and opportunity cost analysis, promotes operational excellence through cross-departmental collaboration and possesses a demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and effectively communicate statistical and financial information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops strategies for the University's financial health for the future while managing ongoing operations.
- Establishes and maintains a strong internal controls environment to properly report the financial results of the university. Directs the preparation of all financial statements.
- Develops financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements. Maximizes return on invested funds; maintains relationships with investment advisors.
- Provides strategic leadership in planning for university growth, resolving financial issues and evaluating financial performance against objectives.
- Designs and directs implementation of best practices for fiscal affair's business processes and financial analyses.
- Provides oversight of the preparation of the budget and annual financial reports, general accounting, payroll, bond financing issues, purchasing and inventory control.
- Ensure compliance with Board of Trustees' policies; college, county, state and federal regulations; generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); and other statutory requirements.
- Manage all Student Housing assignments, fees & student concerns and the employees that perform these functions.
- Manage all Shipping, Receiving, Mailroom, Dining, and Landlord functions and the employees that perform these functions.
Melbourne at the heart of Florida’s Space Coast, the birthplace of space exploration that has grown to be home to several rapidly expanding industries. The economy features cutting-edge communications, electronics, aerospace and aviation, homeland security and defense, emerging technologies, high-tech manufacturing and more. Brevard ranks first in Florida and sixth in the U.S. for the most concentrated high-tech economy. Drawing more than 2.5 million tourists annually and boasting 72 miles of pristine beaches and an average temperature of 73 degrees, Florida’s Space Coast is a place to work and play, with convenient access to all that Central Florida has to offer.
- Required appropriate Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting, CPA preferred.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in area of expertise.
- Academic experience is required.
- During transition period the CFO will report to EVP Operations (once transition is complete, will report to President)
- Position has responsibility over the following depts:
- Campus Services
- Student Financial Services
- Business Operations
- Controller’s Officer (AP, Accounting, Payroll)
- Food Services
- Direct reports 7
- Indirect 50 (not including dining employees)
- School headcount 2436 (FT, PT, Temp, Student EEs, Adjuncts)
- Approx 315 FT Faculty and 600 staff
- Must have Private, Non-profit, Higher Ed and STEM University experience
- Vacant since Nov. Previous CFO was on an annual contract and decided that it wasn’t a good fit
- University just went live with Workday to include HCM, Finance and Payroll modules
- Working to implement Adaptive Insights which is a budget tool
- Roughly 8500 students online/on-ground
- ($110m Bond issuance & refunding, freeing $18m in funding for new Health Sciences Research Center)