Electrical Design Engineer / FPGA
Westerly, RI USA
Under the general direction of the Electronic Systems Group Lead, the Electronics Engineer and the electrical engineering team designs and develops systems used in underwater sonar. The work pertains primarily to development of custom hardware and embedded firmware and software used in data acquisition and power distribution electronic assemblies that reside in underwater environments.
- Implement assigned projects and project tasks to provide electrical and computer engineering solutions including: schematic capture, PCB/PWB design, embedded C/C++ software design, and FGPA design (VHDL preferred)
- Work in a laboratory environment integrating electronics. Familiarity with lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, function generators, DC power supplies, and thermal chambers.
- Support documentation, verification, and validation used in producing, evaluating, testing and processing high fidelity data acquisition systems.
- Perform technical review, design analysis, development and selection of hardware components
- Modify existing hardware and software for obsolescence updates and bug fixes
- Ensure that assigned project tasks are completed, meet established technical and schedule requirements and comply with company’s quality system procedures. Identify and report quality problems in the assigned areas and recommend corrective action and/or alternative solutions to correct abnormal problems or trends that could jeopardize achievement of cost or schedule objectives.
- Prepare design review material in support of SRR, PDR, CDR, FDR and technical audits for assigned designs.
- Promote cordial relationships and foster and maintain a favorable business profile with customers, suppliers, co-workers, industry and professional associations, government agencies and the local community.
- US Government Secret security clearance or ability to obtain clearance required
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer, Electrical, or Electronics Engineering is required. In special circumstances, knowledge gained through engineering related work experience may be substituted for educational requirements.
- 3+ years of experience in custom hardware development preferred, not required.
- VHDL utilizing Xilinx and Microsemi tool chains along with familiarity in C/C++ for microcontrollers and SoC implementations
- Familiarity with high speed data transmission protocols (Gigabit Ethernet, PCIe)
- Understanding of spectral analysis parameters and digital signal processing for data acquisition systems preferred
- Git or similar version control system