Mechanical Project Engineer
Opportunity for the right candidate to support various projects and work in a collaborative multi-discipline environment to support Client's overall mission and goals. This position is located at Fort Hunter Liggett, Monterey County, CA.
Client company offers the following benefits to its full-time employees:
- No-cost for employee-only health insurance plan that includes medical, dental and vision
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Incentive stock options
- Paid time off and holiday pay
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Prepares scope of work documents for plant modifications, de-bottlenecking projects.
- Develops RFP packages and makes recommendations for supplier technical selection. Coordinates reviews of vendor data by the technical team and interfaces with suppliers to resolve any technical issues.
- Experienced in communicating with vendors in resolving vendor queries.
- Experienced in vendor shop visits for monitoring and inspection activities auditing vendor capabilities vs. claims.
- Coordination of construction and installation works at plant site.
- Prepares equipment and piping layouts for plant site modifications and expansions.
- Coordinates with multi-disciplinary Company team and vendors in preparation of calculations including, hydraulics, process simulations, piping sizing, control valve and equipment sizing, pressure head calculations, and performance flow curves.
- Assures all mechanical engineering designs meet applicable codes and standards including company standards, API, ASME as well as others used in static and rotating equipment mechanical design and development for refineries, petrochemical and mid-stream gas processing, general industry, and utilities.
- Prepares studies, including cost-benefit analysis for competing mechanical solutions resulting in robust, cost effective designs.
- Trouble-shoot existing systems in the field, determine modifications to existing systems to change performance, etc.
- Provides support to the Operations team in plant commissioning, startup, and operations activities.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Emphasis is on broad based mechanical engineering experience of at least seven (07) years in oil, gas, petrochemical, or utility industry.
- Preferably have at least three years in an operating engineer role working with operations and maintenance personnel in a refinery, gas, oil, or utility industrial facility.
- Must be able to communicate effectively within Company organization, vendors, contractors and other third-party company.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering is required
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship and gain basic security access to US military base.
- Field experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work well in developing new processing technologies and working with EPC's.
- Excellent working knowledge of applicable codes such as ASME Section 8 Division 1, B31.3, B31.4, AWS, and API specifications.
- Good working knowledge of Process Safety Management.
- Excellent working knowledge of standard software including Excel and Word.
- Ability to work well in developing new processing technology.
- Prioritizing tasks and efficiently manage time.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high-performing, mostly technical team.
- Learns quickly and willing to ask for help.
- Skills in both written and spoken communication to support customers, teammates, and external users with a wide range of skill levels.
- Preparing, reading, analyzing, and interpreting documents.
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment.
Level of Supervision: Receive very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; usually exercise independent discretion and judgment regarding significant matters; operate within company guidelines using independent discretion or judgment to achieve assigned objectives.
Working Conditions and Travel:
- Work is performed primarily at Fort Hunter Liggett, California and other sites as required, as well at the corporate office.
- Hands-on work is performed outdoors in the heat and sun, at elevation, and around machinery.
- Work is also performed indoors on a computer, sitting for extended periods.
- Hear alarms.
- Communicate via radio.
- Work in inclement weather.
- Climb outdoor plant ladders and superstructure.
- Comply with safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Ability to work outdoors in appropriate personal protective equipment for extended periods
- Ability to climb ladders
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Ability to use hand tools
- Ability to reach overhead
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
- Ability to work on a computer
- Must pass military background checks to access US Military facilities (no felony record).
- Must have acceptable results for post-offer background checks, drug screen, and medical tests/exams.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.