Rudzinsky Associates, “RA’s” client is seeking a senior level electro-optical (EO) engineer to join their team in developing cutting edge products for our defense business.
This is an advanced level, lead position requiring the direct application of electro-optics engineering and design expertise in concert with considerable initiative and creativity. The incumbent provides technical leadership in a team environment on significant design, development and research projects, and in the preparation of technical proposals. This position also serves in a mentoring and communication capacity, providing expert explanations, techniques or approaches to colleagues, management and customers where significant technical credibility is required.
This is both a hands-on design and technical leadership role, and will require working closely with multidisciplinary teams in a dynamic work environment. The position is expected to provide the driving force in EO system proposal development, research, concept development, design, manufacture, integration and testing of advanced EO sensor imaging systems inclusive of Helmet Mounted Display Systems (HMDS), Night Vison Systems, Night Vision Cueing Displays (NVCD), Vehicle Mounted Applications (Forward Looking Infrared - Flir, Eye Safe Laser Rang finders - ELRF), Man-portable (Handheld Targeting Systems - HTS), Missile Warning Systems (MWS), Degraded Visual Environment Systems (DVE), etc.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a good balance between technical leadership at a system level and hands-on practical application of electro-optical design fundamentals and imaging system theory for EO systems. They should possess excellent lens design skill, including the practical considerations for the integration and testing of EO sensors and optical components and systems in a laboratory environment. Supervision of an EO technical design team and preparation of cost estimates and schedules for proposed activities are additional duties, so analytical skills should be complimented by an ability to lead EO system development, integration and test activities. Outstanding communication skills are required to convey technical ideas to both the customer community and to company personnel. Support of proposal writing for optical and electro-optical system elements will also be required.
Analytical skills should be complimented by a demonstrated ability to plan and lead EO system engineering activities. The individual must be able to utilize and maintain existing analytical models, develop new models, design tests, and validate performance simulations. The position will interface with internal and external project teams, company personnel and the customer community.
Highly desired skills include:
- Optical and Electro-Optical System performance modeling including imaging and radiometric/photometric properties.
- Optical design of: VIS/SWIR/MWIR/LWIR optics for both refractive and catadioptric architectures inclusive of: zoom lenses, afocals, microscopes, multiple discrete FOV lenses, laser optics, relay lenses, visual systems, and multi/hyperspectral optics.
- Experience relating to corollary disciplines that impact imaging system design: Mechanical, Optical, Electrical, and Algorithms for Image Processing
- Experience in test and evaluation of Electro-Optic systems: Sensitivity, NEDT, MRDT, MTF, FOV, bore-sight, uniformity, spectral transmission, etc.
- Familiar with the application and use of metrology equipment including: interferometers, spectrometers, image analysis (MTF), r adiometers. blackbodies.
Direct involvement with the manufacture, assembly, and troubleshooting of systems.
When you join RA’s client, you join a large family with a strong commitment to making a difference in the lives of others. Because RA’s client’s employees believe in the importance of what they do, each and every person emulates and promotes a positive and supportive workplace where employees are proud to be a part of their team. Their passion lies in our commitment to their customers who depend on them to provide quality products that protect and save lives.
RA’s client is a leading manufacturer in multiple industries: in defense/military markets, supporting military personnel on the ground and in the air, in the medical device industry with the passion and devotion to make a difference in the lives of people everywhere, and in the commercial aviation sector where RA’s client’s products and instruments support the needs of pilots to fly and land safely across the globe.
Bachelor's Degree in engineering (Optics, Physics, or similar) with 20 years of related experience, or a Master's degree with 18 years of experience, or a Doctorate with 15 years of experience, preferably in a design-to-manufacture, DFM environment.
Incumbents should possess an extensive knowledge of electro-optlcs engineering with specific capabilities in areas such as electro-optical system design.
Direct experience leading a team of engineers and technicians on a project basis is preferred.
- Knowledge of advanced electro-optic systems to include imaging systems in multiple spectral bands, and digital image handling.
- Knowledge of advanced display technologies, to include experience with types of micro-display and projection technologies
- Knowledge of motion tracking and the associated human factors considerations
- Knowledge of threat detection and warning systems
- Knowledge of advanced avionics architecture
- Knowledge of advanced land systems architecture
Proficiency with the following or similar tools is desired:
- Optical design software (e.g. Zemax or Code V).
- General Purpose Modeling and Analysis Software (e.g. Matlab or MathCAD)
- Familiarity with the following or similar tools is desired:
- lmager system modeling software (e.g. NV 1PM, NVThermlP, SSCamlP)
- Non-sequential raytrace software (e.g. Zemax, FRED, ASAP, Light Tools)
- Lens system measurement equipment (e.g. MTF bench, spectrophotometer, interferometer, centering station, nodal bench)
- Matlab Image Processing Toolbox