Innovation Manager Location: Rockland County / Orange County NY. Relocation assistance provided. Lower than expected cost of living. (It's not NYC)
The Innovation Manager will lead development activities as the company moves to the final stages of commercialization of proprietary technology while also looking to begin development of future novel technologies.
Why this may be a great opportunity to explore:
- Be a key contributor in developing “Green” Technologies that significantly reduce carbon emissions!
- They are position to succeed as a highly collaborative professionally run organization with world renowned business partners having established relationships for the future sales of technology licenses.
- They are funded by large well-known companies interested in the final product. Renewed funding has been attainable via a stage-gate-like progress analysis by companies who are now excited about the impending commercialization.
- Location & Cost of Living is potentially lower than might be expected (COL *103 +): HQ in suburban Rockland County NY with various types of areas to live in Rockland Country, having a low crime rate and several “Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence” and a lower than expected COL(120). -OR- Easy commute from Orange Country NY which is less congested and has a lower COL (103). -OR- For fun, live in NYC, but COL (180) is high, as expected. (By definition the Nat’l Average COL is 100. Data via bestplaced.net).
Provide senior leadership of process development and related material development activities, including evaluation of lab and pilot-scale performance.
- Manage Research & Development programs and teams keeping a focus on quick technical problem resolution while working toward initial commercialization.
- Keep an eye toward future Innovation such as alternate feed-stock development, catalyst improvements, and product validation.
- Additional duties include representing the company as a senior technology leader in customer, client, and potential collaboration activities with 3rd party entities.
Background profile requested:
We are searching for a strong leader and technical contributor to shepherd programs to commercial fruition while also keeping a strategic eye toward the future. Likely future promotion to the VP level fairly quickly. The position is open due to retirement of a key employee and a planned future retirement.
- Must: PhD degree in Chemical Engineering
- Experience managing other PhD level scientists and engineers in an R&D Process Development setting - petrochemicals, fuels refining, and/or bio-fuels
- 15+ years of experience in process development in the petrochemicals or refining process industries (hydrocarbon process)
- Processes that use zeolite catalysts not only the process to make catalysts (many PhD's have duel experience)
- Technical creativity as evidenced by 1 or more patents (which is typical for a PhD ChE in process development)
- Experience developing project plans including objectives, work breakdown structures, and schedules (i.e. stage-gate).
- Will consider people eligible for "early retirement" who are hoping to continue working FULL TIME in a technically challenging role for at least another 5 to 7 years! (Given the potential for succession to VP and maybe CTO.)
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the USA (no sponsorship).
The following would desired but not required:
(And, most who work in petrochemical process development will happen to have most of these experiences.)
- Experience with pilot plant systems and laboratory instrumentation; Process Modeling and Process Design; Fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) knowledge; Experience with zeolite catalysts plus catalyst characterization; Intellectual Property development, R&D management strategies.