Associate Director, Medical Affairs, Rare Metabolic Bone Diseases
Reporting to the Senior Medical Director, NA, The Associate Director, Medical Affairs will provide scientific and medical leadership and support to all functions within the affiliate to ensure achievement of local objectives and to further the company’s NA Medical Affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care.
Responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise with all diseases and products and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas
- Develop and implement a local Medical Affairs Plan and strategy, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives
- Actively engage with NA Medical Affairs and other functions to ensure the effective local implementation of company strategy and appropriate use of local medical and scientific intelligence and development opportunities
- Build relationships with thought leaders within metabolic bone diseases, other healthcare professionals and stakeholders, including patient groups and professional organizations.
- Provide medical leadership, insight and strategy to all company activities, collaborating across functions, including ensuring the highest level of medical education for all company employees to maximize patient outcomes
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects to support the business objectives, including company -sponsored and investigator-initiated projects
- Manage requests for company product supply in off-label and compassionate use cases, in accordance with local and company procedures
- Provide support for the development, review and approval of presentation materials for scientific meetings, symposia and other Medical Education activities (external).
- Lead the implementation of medical affairs practices to assess new indications, the treating community, patient pathways, identifying patients for clinical research
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- MD, PhD, and/or PharmD with pharmaceutical industry experience required (3 years minimum).
- Relevant and significant experience in the pharmaceutical or the biotech industry (or experience with biological product)
- Background / experience in metabolic diseases, pediatrics or genetic diseases preferred
- Rare diseases knowledge/experience preferred
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Demonstrated ability to accurately and effectively evaluate medical/scientific literature and develop effective medical strategies and communication strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; second language an advantage
- Strong project management, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Adaptability to multicultural environment.
- Strong team player but able to work independently
- Identify priorities and manage deliverables
- Exhibits strong leadership ability
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, and negotiating skills
- Exhibits composure under pressure
- Sense of ethics and responsibility
People Management Skills:
- Clarify Direction & Priorities: Set clear direction for your direct reports aligned with functional and corporate goals. Reprioritize work, as needed. Enable others to do their job well by communicating information and making decisions in a clear, timely manner.
- Partner & Collaborate Effectively: Listen to and value others’ thoughts and ideas. Demonstrate effective partnership both within and outside your team. Achieve results with and through others.
- Support Learning & Growth: Demonstrate self-awareness, humility, and curiosity in service of self-development