Business Unit Director
Basic Purpose of Position: Lead the business unit to achieve financial targets and operational excellence key imperatives.Ensure that outputs from business unit meet or exceed customer commitments in terms of delivery and quality as well as meeting internal budgeted objectives, including performance to bid. Ensure other corporate functions located at the business unit are kept informed, involved and supported with the appropriate work area and support resources. Ensure all personnel at the facility are informed and appraised on policies, procedures and events appropriate for the location.
- Primary or Major Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, manage and lead business unit to achieve financial targets. These responsibilities include ensuring the facility is properly staffed with trained personnel to accomplish the assigned work necessary to meet customer commitments of delivery and quality within budget, and within the parameters of the overall business plan.
- Participate and provide both financial and non-financial inputs and estimates for business planning purposes. Typically, this includes accurate estimates of sales, inventories, profit, and costs for both job charge and overhead expenses.
- Develop and maintain strong customer relationships resulting in customer satisfaction. Ensure workforce is suitably trained and skilled to interface with customers constructively. Facility and processes must be ready at all times to conduct successful audits or surveys by customers or other external organizations such as ISO, AS9100, and others.
- Utilizing a teamwork approach, interact, communicate, and maintain positive working relationship with employees. Perform and facilitate communications with employees in accordance with established policies and procedures. Maintains a positive work environment utilizing an atmosphere of open communications. Ensure all personnel meet established job requirements and that training is identified and implemented where appropriate.
- Provide timely support and resources needed to fulfill requests for surveys and presentations in support of winning new customers and new business. Provide accurate estimates for bids and proposals. Participate in strategizing capture strategy and provide creative thinking during the pursuit of new business.
- Ensure all processes and procedures are followed to maintain compliance with environmental and safety regulations. This includes working with insurance carriers and other departments to ensure risks and cost for compliance are minimized. Ensure the facility has proper planning and resources in place to provide adequate security to the facility and employees while on company property. Maintain up-to-date written Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Fosters a culture within the facility that actively engages employees in proactive ways to improve manufacturing operations through the use of Six Sigma/Lean manufacturing principles, which would include developing and implementing changes in tools, layouts, processes and training. Proactively leverages new technologies, processes and tools which may improve operational performance.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ensure that all assignments are performed in compliance with all applicable Federal, State, Provincial and Company safety and health regulations, and where applicable, proper personal protective equipment is utilized.
- Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management or related field.
- 8 or more years of progressive experience in operations/general management in anAerospace and Defense manufacturing environment with P&L responsibility.
- Electronics manufacturing experience preferred
- Experience with AS9100 and ISO requirements for a Mil/Aero and Defense organization. Understanding of ITAR requirements.
- Ability to manage a dynamic team of individuals.
- Computer literate in the Microsoft Office Suite of programs such as Power Point, Excel, Word.
- Above average communication skills both oral and written. Must be able to communicate at all levels within the organization.