Fixed Equipment Engineer
This position will provide technical support to refinery operations and maintenance staff including equipment troubleshooting, day to day fixed equipment follow-up on repairs and implementation of reliability improvements for fixed equipment.
· Take multi-disciplinary approach to projects that involve a high degree of interaction between departments, using own experience and outside sources.
· Lead multi-disciplinary teams and serve as a technical leader.
· Implement IMPACT and TOPS investigation action items to ensure safe and reliable operation of equipment and the refinery.
· Provide improved technology through outside resources in areas of predictive and preventative maintenance.
· Interact with assigned business teams to optimize refinery performance through troubleshooting and monitoring.
· Perform project research and make recommendations as needed.
· Serve as a project manager as needed.
· Recommend and apply economic evaluations such as cost savings, profit improvements, reliability improvements and operational improvements.
· Schedule, plan and control costs of maintenance projects within budget and schedule.
· Communicate project progress and results.
· Assist in developing engineering standards.
· Support Process Safety Management Programs.
· Support Turnarounds through engineering package reviews, drawing reviews and scope development during discovery.
· Provide technical support for Capital Project development and implementation.
· Work with Maintenance Supervisor to improve unit reliability through reliability focused maintenance work.
· Provide mechanical and technical support to the area team and others throughout the refinery as needed including analysis of failed items, recommendations of design changes to prevent repeat failures or extend run lengths.
· Work closely with the Inspection Department to perform fitness-for-service evaluation of items identified by the ongoing mechanical integrity program.
· Responsible for the management of change procedures for all mechanical changes and projects in assigned area.
· Lead or participate in Root Cause Failure Analysis investigation.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, preferably Structural/Civil or Mechanical.
· A minimum of 10 years’ refinery experience.
· Proven proficiency in stationary equipment fabrication standards (ASME), inspection codes (API, NBIC), and recommended practices.
· Strong interpersonal leadership skills are critical due to the requirement for effective communication of complex issues across the organization as well as for mentoring and consensus building.
· Working knowledge of NDE/NDT Inspection techniques.
· Provide technical support as needed to a 24/7 facility.
· Physical ability to work around and on industrial equipment, including frequent climbing of stairs and ladders.
· Willingness to work around dust, chemical, etc.
· Ability to wear personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in designated areas (hard hat, safety glasses, safety boots and hearing protection).