Headquartered in New York City, our client has offices and major developments in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, South Florida, Washington, D.C., London, and Shanghai and boasts a team of over 4,000 professionals. The company’s portfolio of over $60 billion in real estate assets owned or under development is made up of best-in-class mixed-use, residential, retail, office and affordable properties in premier high-barrier-to-entry markets. The company also manages nearly $5 billion of equity capital on behalf of sovereign wealth funds, public pension plans, multi-managers, endowments, and family offices.
The Payroll Director oversees payroll, payroll accounting, and payroll tax for our client. They will manage the payroll team and be entrusted with hiring duties as needed. This individual will help to streamline processes and improve efficiencies in their department. Problem solving is an important skill in this position, as the payroll director helps evaluate and improve payroll processes as needed.
- Inspire leadership in your immediate team that oversee Payroll, providing mentoring and coaching opportunities with a strong investment of development in their careers.
- Ensure team members are properly trained and provide leadership to enhance performance, quality and productivity.
- Manage quarterly wage and tax reports for 941 reporting and annually for preparation of W-2’s and create corrections for amendments as needed.
- Monthly reconciling of 6 Payroll Bank Accounts and reconciling with the accounting team to compare GL balances.
- Manage a team which allocates payroll costs across the company based on pre-determined cost centers.
- Outline and lead process improvements over payroll processing and cost allocations.
- Partner with Compensation & Benefits, HRIS and Accounting teams to ensure the accuracy, timeliness and compliance of all reports, while documenting the policies, processes and controls, and identify and implement.
- Implement and report (weekly, monthly, quarterly) on key metrics to monitor, manage and improve quality and efficiency.
- Set performance / productivity targets and execute against them with a thoughtful plan.
- Be responsible for properly coding payroll and taxes to ensure expenses, cash, tax payments, etc. are reconciled to payroll sub ledger/system.
- Review and approve payroll process, wires, off cycle checks.
- Scale the payroll team and promote proper procedure and infrastructure within ancillary company-wide teams and groups.
- Other responsibilities include but not limited to participate in special projects or ad hoc analyses as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business or accounting.
- CPP ideal but not required
- Must have 10+ years working in a payroll capacity
- Minimum of 5+ years within a supervisory capacity
- Ideal candidate will have experience in payroll allocation processing
- Experience with major Payroll and ERP system required (Ultimate preferred).
- Must have experience with BI reporting for extracting purposes
- Strong Excel skills and experience with accounting systems such as JDEdwards, UltiPro and other database applications
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations relating to payroll
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ideal candidate will have experience with international accounting/payroll operations
- Organized with a strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills